|1.||23 feared dead after dam breaches in Maharashtra|
23 feared dead after dam breaches in Maharashtra
- Twenty-three persons are feared dead as the Tiware dam in Chiplun taluk, Ratnagiri in Maharashtra’s Konkan region breached following incessant rain, officials said.
- Bodies of 11 persons have been recovered so far,.
- The Tiware dam was built 14 years ago with a capacity of 20 lakh cubic metres.
- The breach led to flooding in seven villages downstream; 12 houses were swept away.
- Search and rescue operations have been launched by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the State police.
- A police officer said rescue operations were hampered initially due to darkness and the sudden influx of water.
- Relatives of the victims said they had asked the district administration to repair the dam as they had spotted cracks in the structure in November 2018.
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has ordered an inquiry into the incident.